The iPad Edition of "LockDown Browser" available from iTunes enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser. However, your instructor must first select a setting that permits the use of iPads for the exam and your school's learning management system must be compatible. The LockDown Browser iPad app is not compatible with Sakai LMS servers. All Sakai users will need to use a computer with a compatible operating system. More details can be seen here.
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
1. Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 11 or higher.)
2. Follow the instructions for your institution's learning system below.
For Blackboard Original Course View, Canvas, and some Moodle instances:
Launch the LockDown Browser app. The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server (shown below). If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the toolbar for the LockDown Browser app. Once the setup is complete, you will be directed to your institution's login page. Log in with the correct credentials, navigate to your course and quiz, and begin your exam.
For Brightspace, Blackboard Ultra, Schoology, some Moodle instances, and ALEKS users:
Open your mobile browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.), log into your learning system, and navigate to the quiz. Start the quiz; the LockDown Browser app will automatically launch.
3. When you start a quiz that requires LockDown Browser, you should see the following message. You must click "Yes" to open the LockDown Browser app.
4. Once you click "Yes" to confirm "app self-lock,", you will see a message confirming that your iPad is now locked to LockDown Browser.
5. After you submit the exam, you'll see confirmation that your iPad is no longer locked to LockDown Browser.
6. You can now either take another exam, or exit the LockDown Browser app.
It's important that you don't start Apple's Guided Access feature (by triple clicking the home button) and then enter LockDown Browser. If you do, you'll see this warning message at the top of LockDown Browser.
You should immediately triple click the home button and exit Guided Access before proceeding with your exam. If you do not, you'll see this error message when trying to start your exam:
You can permanently disable Guided Access on your iPad by going to "settings" > "general" > "accessibility" > "guided access"